The infographic below explains important things to consider when choosing fonts (open in new tab and click to zoom to make bigger):
The main points I took from this are:
– Stick to two fonts – one for the headings and one for the body text – make sure they are not too similar though, otherwise the audience can’t understand the hierarchy
– Know the personality of the font you are using as this affects its meaning
– Be careful with reverse type – e.g. typing light on a dark background – make sure the contrast is enough that it can be read easily
– Watch out for stray words left at the end of a paragraph on one line at the end – keep it all together in blocks
– Consider using older style figures for numbers – easier to read – pay close attention to this as the font of numbers goes easily overlooked.